Important Tips on Writing a Resume
- Start with the heading. This should include your name, address, phone number and email address.
- State your purpose. Write the word “purpose” in bold all caps in the middle of the page. Then state your purpose. What do you want? To be a world class HVAC service provider working for a world class HVAC company? Let the world know! You will be sending this to a hiring manager so let him/her know who you are and what you want.You say you’re a hard worker…what did you accomplish that proves that?
- List your experience. Write the word “experience” in bold all caps in the middle of the page. Start with the most recent job you had and work backwards. For each job you have had list the company followed by the city and state you worked in. Underneath, list the dates you worked at the company, month and year is fine…make sure you are accurate because sometimes companies will verify your dates of employment at prior companies. Company name and location should be in bold.Underneath the dates you will list the job title you had at prior jobs in bold.
- Under each job, list your achievements. Don’t worry about listing the day to day activities. What did you accomplish while there?
- Write the word “education” in bold for your next section. Then list the highest level of education you have achieved. If you have a post high school technical degree there is no need to list your high school. If high school is the highest level of education you have achieved, then list that but don’t put the date you graduated high school. Your age is no one’s business.
- If you’ve got more than 10 years’ experience, the resume should not be more than 3 pages long. If you are just starting out in your career, 1 page is great!
- Think about what the hiring manager may be looking for in a home services technician. Tailor your resume as best you can to fit that. They’ll be looking for technical ability…ability to work with your hands…ability to interact with customers. Even if you’ve never been a home services technician you probably have some skills and accomplishments that are similar. Let them know about it!